Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up

Since I created this blog with the intent of including a family diary of sorts I decided to add a weekly feature I think I'll call the Weekend Wrap-Up. Bits and pieces of stuff that happened throughout the week or weekend that never made it to a blog entry of it's own. A bit of randomness I guess you could say.

As far as randomness goes, it is in the middle of the night and I can't sleep, so figured I'd write for a bit and try to sleep again afterward. You typically think of a house as silent in the middle of the night, but it has plenty of sounds of its own...especially the 'fridge!

This week was Teen Read week at the local library so Wednesday and Thursday after school JS walked to the library and stayed there until I got off work. Wednesday they did craft time and Thursday they fed them pizza. When I went to pick him up one of the librarians chatted with me for a minute and told me that he was a neat kid. Made me feel good and proud of him. His teacher also told him this week that he was a model student.

Wednesday night I took him to the student group at the church we are currently attending. Was his first visit there. He really seemed to enjoy it and saw a couple of kids from his school, so that was nice. We've had a hard time getting him plugged into a church youth group somewhere that he likes. After I dropped him off a friend from my ladies Esther Bible study and I met for dinner at a Mexican place as our Esther group had the night off. I don't know what women would do without other women friends. Not to bash the guys, but its so nice to chat with someone and realize that some things are universal and you aren't the only one feeling that way. Especially relating to the pressures of being a woman, trying to juggle work, home, kids, husband, etc, etc. And not getting so wrapped up in those things that you lose who you really are in the process. I can so see that happening to me especially in regards to being a mommy. That right now is probably the biggest part of my life and it isn't a bad thing to pour yourself into your kids, they grow up so fast. But if I base the majority of my identity as mom, then when they fly the nest that will leave me facing a serious identity crisis. I'm not sure what exactly I'm trying to say, other then I know there needs to be balance there and I can't live solely for my kids.

Speaking of kids not becoming your whole world and identity, my brother-in-law came over Friday while I was at work and picked up the kids to keep over night so that Ron and I could spend some solo time together. After work Ron and I went out for dinner and drinks. We managed to loosen up, goof off, laugh and I'm afraid annoy the family beside us in the restaurant. LOL But it was good, it was nice to just chill out and enjoy each spending some time with each other as adults, not just always relating to each other in our roles as parents. The realities and responsibilities of life tend to weigh you down at times, and it was a much needed reality break. Saturday we got up early and headed to the mountains, the leaves were very pretty and we walked up to Anna Ruby Falls. With all the rain lately the water falls were beautiful and the whole walk along the creek was so nice. It was still early, cool, crisp, and you could just smell the fresh air and hear the water the whole way as it tumbled and splashed down the creek. At one point we just stopped on this bridge and watched the water. It was so clear, clean and fresh. I started thinking about the beauty of the splashing water, the pureness of it and the sounds it made. So often in my life I want the still water, the calm time, but still water stagnates. Yes, those peaceful times are nice, but the growth, change, power and raw beauty come from the turbulent waters. Something I'll try to remember more often. After we left there we just drove around for a bit and found this odd little rock shop. It was 2 stories with the home on top and shop on the bottom. Inside the shop part of the ceiling was just plywood with this one little hole cut into it. I kept hearing a meow sound that sounded like it was above me. I looked up and sure enough, this cat head was hanging down into the shop. It was hilarious to me, I don't know why I got such a kick out of that cat. His name was Phoenix. I guess it was just so unexpected to see a cat head hanging down from the ceiling of a store! You couldn't see the rest of him, just his head swiveling around watching us. Got the kids a little something, JS a slice of rock with all different colors of blue, very pretty. And for our science lover, LeAnne, we got a fossil. Then headed to Helen, where of course we got some fresh fudge and just walked around the town a bit. That evening we went to get the kids and had dinner with Chris and Melinda and my nephews and just visited with them a bit. We all watched a show called Dangerous Encounters with Brady Barr. That guy is a freak! He acts like he has a death wish! Anyway, much thanks to them for keeping the kids.

Sunday we went to church and did a whole lot of clothes washing, but other then that, I had no motivation to do much of anything. Our neighbor did invite the kids to a Trunk or Treat at her church so we went to that. The kids had fun dressing up and scouring a bunch of candy. I think it siked them up for Saturday (Halloween).

And, in other news, one of my family members was arrested this week. Which isn't good at any time, but seeing that he was already on probation in two counties, it is a really sad thing. He is so young and has so much life and potential ahead of him and to see it being basically destroyed by drugs, alcohol and bad decisions is very sad. But I see ladies in the prison ministry who are using their time in jail to make life changes and turn themselves around and know that God can use it for good. Our stupidity doesn't limit His power! But why we humans tend to repeatedly ignore Him, thinking His way is keeping something from us, when in reality His way is for our own good and protection, I don't understand. I've tried living life both ways...for Him and for myself, and when living for yourself you may think you are living in freedom, making your own choices, but in reality I'm learning more and more each day that true freedom only comes when we follow Him.

Well, I think I shall once more lay down and see if I can find this elusive thing called sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh would I LOVE a solo date with hubbie! And your right.. at this point I am mommy 99.9% of the time. There was a speaker at MOPS last year who wrote the book Mommy's got a fake I.D. ..after she spoke it just really hit me... She asked us to finish the question " I am a mommy and...." And I couldnt' think of a thing! YEESH! So...Now I can finally say, I am a mommy and...lots of things!

    ReplyDelete