Friday, April 4, 2014

Even at the 11th Hour...

Have you ever seen something from only one perspective, and then when you finally see it from another you are like WOW, how have I missed that?!

I did that today with  a parable in the Bible.  The parable of the workers.

Matthew 20:1-16 “For the Kingdom of Heaven is like the landowner who went out early one morning to hire workers for his vineyard. He agreed to pay the normal daily wage and sent them out to work. “At nine o’clock in the morning he was passing through the marketplace and saw some people standing around doing nothing. So he hired them, telling them he would pay them whatever was right at the end of the day. So they went to work in the vineyard. At noon and again at three o’clock he did the same thing. “At five o’clock that afternoon he was in town again and saw some more people standing around. He asked them, ‘Why haven’t you been working today?’ “They replied, ‘Because no one hired us.’ “The landowner told them, ‘Then go out and join the others in my vineyard.’ “That evening he told the foreman to call the workers in and pay them, beginning with the last workers first. When those hired at five o’clock were paid, each received a full day’s wage. 10 When those hired first came to get their pay, they assumed they would receive more. But they, too, were paid a day’s wage. 11 When they received their pay, they protested to the owner, 12 ‘Those people worked only one hour, and yet you’ve paid them just as much as you paid us who worked all day in the scorching heat.’13 “He answered one of them, ‘Friend, I haven’t been unfair! Didn’t you agree to work all day for the usual wage? 14 Take your money and go. I wanted to pay this last worker the same as you. 15 Is it against the law for me to do what I want with my money? Should you be jealous because I am kind to others?’ 16 “So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last.”

Occasionally I see this just in the aspect of the very last sentence regarding those who will be last will be first. But more often I view it as earning what you are promised and not comparing wages to others.  In both my past job and my current job I've shared this parable as coworkers have discovered what another coworker makes. Yes, it can be irritating to think someone is working the same, or even less, but making more than you. But I remind them, and myself when irritation creeps in, that we are working for the wages we agreed on (its different when your responsibilities change).  Everyone in the story worked the hours and job they were asked and were paid the wages they agreed on. Even though to us it seems that those who worked less, deserve less.  Or at least those who worked more should get more.

Up until today I have never seen this parable as anything else.  I saw a comment on this parable in Our Daily Bread devotional that triggered this blog post. This can also be a parable about grace.  It's so much easier for us to accept God's grace for those who ask for it and then go on to live good lives.  But what about those who accept God's grace on their deathbeds, or even on death row in prison?  What if they did something despicable, inhuman or incomprehensible?  How easy is it to then accept that they too, at the 11th hour, can be a recipient of God's grace?  Much harder isn't it?  It is for me.  

A friend and I were talking about child molesters yesterday, discussing with (righteous) anger, how they can ruin the life of another and how they deserve hell.  We tend to put child murderers, molesters and anyone who harms or damages children at the bottom of the worst of the worst list.  But even they can have a heart change and if they accept Jesus' death, burial and resurrection as payment for their sin, can go to heaven.  Much like in the parable, we gripe and complain and say it isn't fair.  

On the other hand my grandpa accepted Christ as his Savior three months before he died.  My grandma accepted Him many years before she died last week.  In this case, I'm so grateful that God forgives and redeems, even at the 11th hour.  Albeit, it's much easier to be grateful for as he was a good and loving person.

My thoughts today - Am I really so full of pride that I think I deserve God's grace more than someone else?  Am I really that hateful that I resent the love of God and His kindness that is shown to others?

The landowner went out seeking workers.  Some of them weren't working, not because they were lazy, but simply because no one had hired them, no one had given them a chance.  Do we pass up sharing the Good News of salvation because we think someone isn't deserving?  God's grace is for EVERYONE.  As an unworthy recipient of His grace myself, I should be be telling those who have never heard and sharing the good news.  Not sulking because in my own prideful opinion I think someone else isn't as deserving.  Maybe they aren't accepting His grace simply because no one has shared it with them, much like the workers who weren't working only because no had taken a chance on them and hired them.

Who can you share God's grace and mercy with today? How can you apply this to your life? Is there resentment over the showering of God's grace and love on someone who think doesn't deserve it?  Stop and take a minute to realize that you are also a recipient of His undeserved grace and mercy.

Today I'm thanking God that He hasn't given ANY of us what we deserve, instead He has shown His kindness to ALL who accept Him.

Dear God,
Thank you for sending your one and only son, Jesus Christ, to earth to seek out and save those of us who are wondering around the market place,lost and without purpose.  Thank you that you share your kindness with all who accept.  Thank you that you didn't write me off when I spent time living for myself and that You showed me Your grace no matter what time of day or where I was at.  Help me share that grace and love to others.  Thank you that You never give up on us, even if it is at the 11th hour or if we seem hopeless or worthless to all others. Your loving kindness is overwhelming and incomprehensible.  You deserve all my worship and praise.  Free me from my pride so that I can freely praise you with all of my mind, soul and body.










No comments:

Post a Comment