Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thanksgiving (and the week after)

Ok, so Thanksgiving was a week ago and it is now December.  I've been a slacker as far as my blog goes.  So just gonna attempt to do a quick update and get caught up.  This is more a "family diary" entry, so if you are looking for one of my more devotional centered entries, this isn't going to be it.  :)

Wednesday, after work, we headed down to our hometown to see family.  Thursday was a packed full day!  We had Thanksgiving lunch at Ron's grandparent's home and then we played a game his mom orchestrated.  Since we won't all (cousins, grandparents, etc) be together at the same time at Christmas she decided we would do "Gobbler Gifts" and we drew numbers and played the whole "steal" gifts thing.  My kids brought homemade cocoa mixes and chocolate dipped marshmallows on a stick they made.  I made some gift cards with photos I have taken and Ron took a gift certificate for electrical work.  It was a lot of fun!  Then in the afternoon we went to my parent's home.  Everyone of us eight siblings were there, except for one.  It was so nice seeing everyone.  After dinner we continued our decades old tradition of a hayride down country, dirt roads...in the back of a trailer on hay bales, in the freezing cold!  We took Barkley this time, I even bought a cute little fur lined coat for him, which one of my brothers razzed me to death over!  This year we had 22 (I think) of us in the trailer, plus a couple more and some little ones in the truck.  Our family just keeps growing and growing. 

Friday morning Melinda, LeAnne and I went "Black Friday" shopping.  This was the first time that LeAnne got to tag along. We didn't go super early or was really out to get anything in particular so it was fun and relaxed, not crazy like some years. We went to Chick-fil-A for breakfast at the mall afterward.  For lunch, Catherine, Christina and I went and ate lunch at Corner Cafe.  Was a cute little place and we sat on the patio. Actually, we were the only ones willing to brave the chill and sit out there.  It was great catching up and chatting.  (By the way, if you ask the waitress there to pick out the grapes in your fruit bowl, she will just laugh at you!!  LOL) We went and checked out Thomas and Christina's place and had a yummy, seasonal latte from Starbucks.  Friday night my parents took the kids to see the 3D Christmas Carol movie at the theater.  Ron and I and some of his family went and had mexican while the kids were gone.

Saturday morning we visited with my grandparents.  Then Ron decided we weren't going to stay, as originally planned, until Sunday, but to come on back. Probably missed a lot of traffic by doing that.  We also got back in time to go to our favorite sushi place and eat a super late dinner there.

Sunday morning Ron started getting sick.  By yesterday he went to the doctor and has a mild case of pneumonia.  So he missed work yesterday and today, which besides him feeling bad, sucks because he has no sick leave or time off left this year.

Last night I went to my Esther Bible study.  Only four of us showed up, but the lesson was really good (DVD session #5) and we got a chance to sit and talk in a more intimate setting afterward since there wasn't as many of us.  I love those ladies!

Glad tomorrow is Friday...glad for this week to be over and who knows...the weatherman says we may have snow flurries on Saturday, how exciting if we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment