Sunday, March 6, 2011

Not Everything is Good for You

Can having a dog help you teach your son Biblical lessons? I think so!

My son was eating a pot pie the other night and it was still steaming hot.  Our dog normally doesn't beg while we eat, but since he was sitting at the coffee table eating, our dog thought he'd check out the menu.  My son, feeling sorry for him tossed him a chunk of chicken.  Barkley caught it in his mouth and quickly spit it out.  Why?  Was it bad?  Did it taste yucky?  Did he not like it?  Nope, it simply was too hot!  This is something he would normally be allowed, but at the time, it wasn't good for him.  It could have burnt his mouth.  And even though it was hot, he kept coming back for another bite.  My son thought it was funny and commented on how stupid he was to keep begging for something so hot he couldn't even eat.  Finally I told him to quit giving Barkley anything until it cooled down, that as a dog he doesn't know any better. All he knows is that it tastes good and he has no concept of proper timing, of waiting on it to cool down.  My son had to withhold the chicken from him.  Not because we were being mean, but because we didn't want him to get burnt.  Other things he would love to eat, but isn't allowed, like scrambled eggs.  (who wants to sleep with a dog that poots eggs?...nasty, seriously nasty)

I told my son that is how it is with some things in life.  As a teen he may see adults do certain things and be eager to try them himself, but as a young teen, the timing is not right and he may be burned in the process.  There are some rules we have that will not change no matter his age, but other things as he gets older he will be allowed to do or participate in.  Are we being mean?  No. I doubt any of you would think I was being a responsible parent if I tossed him my truck keys and said, "go have fun."  It requires timing, training and following the proper rules.  Same with sex, am I being prudish by teaching him to wait?  No.  I simply prefer not to see him make mistakes that can change the whole course of his life.  I want to protect him, protect him from diseases, unwanted pregnancy and undo heartache.  Eventually he will be old enough and free to make all his own choices.  But I hope he remembers that sometimes not everything we are allowed to do is what we should do.


You may say, "I am allowed to do anything." But I reply, "Not everything is good for you." And even though "I am allowed to do anything," I must not become a slave to anything.  I Corinthians 6:12 (NLT)


As for Barkley, I'm glad that he helped provide me with an illustration to teach my son with, but he is still not allowed eggs! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment