Friday, March 4, 2011

The Value of Friendship

Not much is better in life than great friendships, those relationships that really mean something.

One of the greatest friendships in the Bible that comes to my mind is between Jonathan, son of King Saul, and David, future King of Israel.  You can read about it in I Samuel.  Their bond of friendship was so strong that even though Saul wanted David dead, the friendship between Jonathan and David stayed strong. Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the Lord, saying, ‘The Lord is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.’ ” I Samuel 20:42 (NIV)

Another incredible friendship in the Bible is between Ruth and Naomi, her mother-in-law. "See," Naomi said to her, "your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods. You should do the same." But Ruth replied, "Don't ask me to leave you and turn back. I will go wherever you go and live wherever you live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. I will die where you die and will be buried there. May the LORD punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!" So when Naomi saw that Ruth had made up her mind to go with her, she stopped urging her. Ruth 1:15-18 (NLT)

Much was written in the book of Proverbs about friendships, here are a few of my favorites:
  • A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. Proverbs 17:17 (NLT)
  • There are "friends" who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (NLT)
  • The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense. Proverbs 27:9 (NLT)
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend. Proverbs 27:17 (NLT)
These last few weeks have been very trying and hard for me, yet in the midst of it I have come to realize just how blessed I am with the people God has placed in my life.  From all walks of life and all ages; from friends I’ve met at church, to neighbors to family members.  My husband has been working out of town a lot lately and both of my kids have had me running interference at school on their behalf.  Calls from the school nurse’s office, the school resource officer and school counselor.  We’ve had everything from broken noses to broken hearts.  Doctor appointments to heal the physical and doctor appointments to help the mental/emotional.  Quite frankly, it has been overwhelming at times.  I’ve questioned my purpose, struggled with the fact that life in general just seems overrated as well as irrational thoughts.  Thoughts that are able to take words like “they may have a disorder that has some genetic/inherited tendencies” and change them in my head to “they got this from you, it is all your fault.”


One morning this week I seriously debated just pulling the covers over my head and not even getting up.  But I rolled over and on my nightstand is a Willow Tree Angel that a good friend (one I’ve claimed as my big sis!) gave me for Christmas.  It is the “Courage” angel.  And above that on my “tree” lamp I hung a plaque that a co-worker had given me for my birthday a couple of weeks ago.  Both were right there in my face and they reminded me that I am God’s Beloved.  Great reminders that I have courage and I am special to God.


My friends have called to check on me, stayed up late on lonely nights to chat with me on facebook and gone out to eat with me.  On Wednesday I had one friend go to lunch with me and greatly encourage me, reminding me that sometimes it’s the little things in life that have meaning.  Then went to dinner that night with my Aunt, who also was a great encouragement.  It has been the love of God in human form through the friends and family He has placed in my life.  And for which I have been very thankful for.

If you have even one close friend in your life, thank God for him/her today and let them know how much they mean to you.

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment