Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Talk to Me

Our daughter has been having a hard time lately.  Something is going on with her and we can't quite figure it out.  But she hasn't been her normal, bubbly self.  She is avoiding eye contact and in general just seems unhappy.  Her dad and I sat her down outside on the patio last night to talk.  We talked to her a lot, she talked very little.  We sat and waited, we asked questions, finally we just gave her some paper and told her if she couldn't talk to us, maybe she could write and get out whatever was bothering her.

Why do we want her to talk to us? Is it just to hear her talk? To know that something was wrong? We already knew that.  So why? Because we CARE and LOVE her!  Unless she tells us what is bothering her, we can't help come up with a solution or ways to help alleviate the problem.

She finally admitted that there was some stuff going on, and came over and threw her arms around my neck and cried.  I cried with her.  It hurts me to see my kids hurt.  I just wish I could make it all go away and make life smooth and easy for them...

Today I was having a hard day.  Stuffing it all inside and basically feeling miserable.  And then it hit me, I was being just like my daughter.  I have a heavenly Father who is patiently waiting on me to pour my heart out to Him.  He won't force the issue, but waits on me to come to Him.  He cares for me in the same way I care for my daughter.  Does He want me to talk to Him because He doesn't already know what I'm dealing with?  No, it is because He loves me and wants me to turn to Him, and not just in the bad times, but all the time. 

How do I know He cares? His Word He gave us tells me:

"Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee:"  2 Kings 20:5


"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8 (NLT)

"For the Lamb who stands in front of the throne will be their Shepherd. He will lead them to the springs of life-giving water. And God will wipe away all their tears." Revelation 7:17 (NLT)
 
"He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler." Psalm 91:4 (NKJV)

How do I know God is my Father?
 
 "So you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:26 (NLT)
 
And just as I want my children to do, what does God want me to do?

"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you."  I Peter 5:7 (NLT)

So tonight, instead of having a pity party or trying to hide what I feel, I'm gonna run to my heavenly Father, pour my heart out to Him and ask Him to wipe my tears and take my worries.  

Thank you God!

1 comment: